Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Some light reading

I got a couple of books in from Amazon recently, mostly about caring for barefoot horses.

Feet First. I bought this one since I frequent the Rockley Farm blog, and Nic is the co-author on this book. Nic has also been extremely patient with my newbie questions about feeding for barefoot performance. I'm very interested in what this book has to say!

Next, Paddock Paradise. Instead of turnout in paddocks, Nic uses the concept of tracks for the horses at Rockley. This book is supposed to have lots of great information on making tracks work, even on small acreage. Should be an interesting read!

And lastly, Holistic Horsekeeping. I bought this on a recommendation from the owner of my feed store, who is going to have the hay tested at my request (!!!). He talked to me about the concept of forage first and doesn't roll his eyes when I ask about the NSC values of various feeds, so I figured I owed it to him to give this book a go. Plus, Madalyn Ward is about 10 minutes from our house, so... might as well give it a go!

I'll let y'all know what I think of these books as I start reading them. Has anyone else out there read anything that I should get my hands on? I'm always looking for a good excuses to buy more books!

3 comments:

  1. Could you just put your hands on the books that I want to read, and then I wouldn't have to buy them? If you actually need excuses to buy books? I'll give you reviews - tell you if they're worth your while reading when you could otherwise be riding. Or weighing scoops of oats.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard good things about Horsekeeping on a Small Acerage, if you don't already have it. You should totally review the new books when you get time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funder, I do already have that book. It's quite good!

    M, my bookshelf is yours. Just LMK what you'd like to borrow!

    ReplyDelete