Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A wee bit overdue

Geez, it's been a long time since I've posted here. I knew it had been a while, but Nov. 15 was the last post. Yikes.

My family has had a wonderful thing happen since then that has consumed pretty much all the time I would otherwise have devoted to horses - we've purchased two acres in south Austin, with room for the horses! I've started a blog, A little piece of heaven, about the property. It's a pretty major fixer-upper, but man is it going to be wonderful when we're done.

Since we bought the house, I haven't done much riding since I've been too busy getting the property ready for equine inhabitants. RD, who leases Red, has been riding Saga for me when he's stuck in from the rain, as have my Irish friend and Ziggy's dad. Many, many thanks to all of them for helping me keep my horse from going crazy when he's stuck in. All of my show plans for the fall were canceled, but frankly I'd rather go foxhunting with my husband, so hopefully we'll have some time for that come spring after we move the horses to the new place.

Red continues to be fat and happy, but I know that RD will miss him once we move him south. Cash is doing fabulously well - I got a great picture of him on a mousepad as a Christmas present from Paint Creek Farm where he is boarded, and he looks just great. My only regret is that I haven't been out to visit him recently, but I'm hoping to remedy that soon.

About the most exciting thing that's happen to Saga lately is that I finally, FINALLY found a blanket that fit him. I broke down and spent the money for a Rambo medium weight. It's the fourth blanket I tried on him, and it fits beautifully. He wasn't nearly as excited about it as I was.

Woohoo, a blanket. Gee mom, couldn't you have gotten me a bunch of carrots or some apples like all the other humans got their horses? I swear.

Somewhere I have a picture of Cash wearing his brand-new Rambo medium weight, same colors and everything, from back in 1998. That thing is still around and going strong, although it's faded a bit and I've re-waterproofed it any number of times. Let's hope this one lasts half as long!

2 comments:

  1. I saw him in his new blanky! He looks sharp! Greta's new stall is right across from Saga, so if ever he needs some extra TLC, I can most certainly provide it. I always feel bad when I hear him nicker when I haul out carrots and apple wafers (oh and peppermints now) to Greta, but I don't know what he can and can't have haha! I've run across some picky owners!

    Congrats on the new property! It sounds like it's going to be so awesome when it's finished! I'm following the blog, don't know if I'll be of much help (I'm lucky to hammer in a nail straight) but the stories are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks for the offer of feeding Saga a few extra treats! I'm not one of those paranoid owners (anymore), so you are welcome to give him whatever he'll eat - not sure if he likes peppermints but it's always worth a try. Heck, he drinks my husband's coffee, so I suspect he's not picky. I feel so guilty that I'm not spending more time with him right now, so I'm extremely grateful to anyone who will give him any attention!

    ReplyDelete